“HuntFishTravel – SharkWeek in Ireland with Tommy’s Outdoors”
This week’s episode is the annual SharkWeek episode I look forward to all year long.
The host of Tommy’s Outdoors is one cool dude, he’s chatting with us from across the pond about his show, sharks, conservation efforts and how you can get involved to save these magnificent creatures!
Listen in to hear the tale.
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel 195 – SharkWeek in Ireland with Tommy’s Outdoors
“HuntFishTravel – Russian Bear Hunt with Mia Anstine”
Last fall I spent a week hunting elk in the Colorado mountains with Mia, while I was there she told me all about her hunt in Russia. From getting travel documents last minute to hunting bears in the dark to sketchy Russian border crossings.
Listen in to hear the tale.
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel 190 – Russian Bear Hunt with Mia Anstine
“HuntFishTravel – ATA 2018 Bonus Episodes”
Had a great time at the ATA show this year, here are four interviews I conducted while on the show floor. Stay tuned, we have more info for what’s coming up in 2018. You’re not going to want to miss it!
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel – ATA 2018 Bonus Episodes
“HuntFishTravel – ATA Wrap Up with Rut and River Pursuits, Archery Trade Association Convention”
And I’m starting 2018 off with ATA2018 convention coverage. Will, Ryan and Catfish join me for a solid hour of highs and lows, the crazy weather in Indianapolis, why attendance was down, why some media was denied entry to the show and then we jump into the products we loved, the products we didn’t and some experiences at the show.
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel 185 – ATA Wrap Up with Rut and River Pursuits, Archery Trade Association Convention
Group Sturgeon Weekend is February 9-10
Full season is February 9 – 24, 2019, deadline for tags is October 31, 2018.
The group will participate in “cutting in” on Friday, Feb 8. We will spear and attend an evening bonfire on the lake Saturday, Feb 9, and spear Sunday, Feb 10.
Sturgeon Spearing Info:
- WI DNR Info
- Find the 2019 Regulations here.
- You must be 12 years or older to spear sturgeon and the deadline for putting in your application is October 31st.
- Spearing hours are 7:00am – 1:00pm. (You can always go ice fishing afterwards!)
- Minimum length is 36”
- It is helpful to have a truck/SUV to get you to your shanty but it is not imperative, as there’s always someone to hitch a ride with.
- Fond du Lac is 1 hour, 15 minutes north of General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee.
2019 Cost details:
Oshkosh/Fond du Lac Hotel: $50-$100/night.
Shanty rentals per day:
- $200 per spearing hole per day. Single hole and double hole shanties available. Total weekend Saturday and Sunday shanty rental cost: $400 for a single shanty/$800 for double shanty.
- Generally 1 person per hole, but 2 people per hole if you want to trade off and fight over who gets to spear the sturgeon when it shows up!
- All spearing equipment is provided with the shanty rental, shanty/1 spear hole/decoy/heat.
- Contact Tyler Jackson 920-602-2322 to reserve your shanty (don’t wait – shanty rentals are in high demand!)
- Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $20.00*
- Non-Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $65.00*
*These are in addition to the fishing license you must purchase (Non-resident 4 day is $24.00/Resident annual is $20.00 NOT to be confused with sturgeon fishing which is different than spearing).
Drop me a line via the contact form if you’re interested and I can pass along the details!
These creatures fascinate me. Their history is rife with drama and science fiction; you can read how Wisconsin can justifiably claim them as the state’s most successful conservation effort here:
Continue reading Deadline Oct 31, 2018 Join Me For the 2019 Sturgeon Spearing weekend