It’s the second weekend of the Wisconsin Whitetail Rifle season. And what would hunting season be without knowing what to do with all that meat in the freezer?
Here is a dish we made last night, we took a beef hamburger recipe and tweaked it a bit, it’s a work in process but it turned out really, really good!
- 1 lb of venison hamburger
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic soup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables – thawed (I like cauliflower/broccoli/carrots)
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes (although I think I’d have preferred real – it was just a tad pasty for me)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cook the venison hamburger over medium/high heat until it’s browned and pour off any fat.
- Add 1/2 of the soup, the Worcestershire, and the vegetables to the beef, stir well and place in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Heat water, butter and remaining soup and bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the milk, then the potatoes. Spoon this mixture over the beef.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top of the potatoes are a light brown and crusty.