“Salmon Facts and Your Dollars at Work in Wisconsin with Cory Yarmuth Pt 2”
Topics covered in this episode:
- WI license requirements and where the dollars from the stamps go.
- Different salmon species in Lake Michigan
- Stocking science
- Why wind directions and water temps throughout the year plays a part in catching fish. But why hours of available light is much more important.
- The one day in October Cory thinks is the day you can’t miss.
“Fall Salmon Fishing in Wisconsin with Cory Yarmuth Part 1”
Topics covered in this episode:
- Complete rod and reel setups for fall salmon fishing.
- Why salmon strike a lure.
- Why salmon “eat” spawn.
- If he recommends using glow lures or not and why they may not be as effective as you may think.
- Explains why you should be ready when you see someone else catch one.
- What depth should you fish?
- What hook to use in order to keep from losing fish.
- Bait color suggestions.
- Why you should skip live bait in the fall.
- Why you may catch trout instead of salmon.
#HuntFishTravel Ep 196 – Fishing Costa Rica with Lisa Montgomery of Luxurious Fishing Vacations
Costa Rica is on my radar, lots of family and friends have visited the destination for vacation and fishing trips. Lisa stops by to chat about her favorite topic – fishing! Continue reading #HuntFishTravel Ep 196 – Fishing Costa Rica with Lisa Montgomery of Luxurious Fishing Vacations
“HuntFishTravel – SharkWeek in Ireland with Tommy’s Outdoors”
This week’s episode is the annual SharkWeek episode I look forward to all year long.
The host of Tommy’s Outdoors is one cool dude, he’s chatting with us from across the pond about his show, sharks, conservation efforts and how you can get involved to save these magnificent creatures!
Listen in to hear the tale.
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel 195 – SharkWeek in Ireland with Tommy’s Outdoors
Group Sturgeon Weekend is February 9-10
Full season is February 9 – 24, 2019, deadline for tags is October 31, 2018.
The group will participate in “cutting in” on Friday, Feb 8. We will spear and attend an evening bonfire on the lake Saturday, Feb 9, and spear Sunday, Feb 10.
Sturgeon Spearing Info:
- WI DNR Info
- Find the 2019 Regulations here.
- You must be 12 years or older to spear sturgeon and the deadline for putting in your application is October 31st.
- Spearing hours are 7:00am – 1:00pm. (You can always go ice fishing afterwards!)
- Minimum length is 36”
- It is helpful to have a truck/SUV to get you to your shanty but it is not imperative, as there’s always someone to hitch a ride with.
- Fond du Lac is 1 hour, 15 minutes north of General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee.
2019 Cost details:
Oshkosh/Fond du Lac Hotel: $50-$100/night.
Shanty rentals per day:
- $200 per spearing hole per day. Single hole and double hole shanties available. Total weekend Saturday and Sunday shanty rental cost: $400 for a single shanty/$800 for double shanty.
- Generally 1 person per hole, but 2 people per hole if you want to trade off and fight over who gets to spear the sturgeon when it shows up!
- All spearing equipment is provided with the shanty rental, shanty/1 spear hole/decoy/heat.
- Contact Tyler Jackson 920-602-2322 to reserve your shanty (don’t wait – shanty rentals are in high demand!)
- Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $20.00*
- Non-Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $65.00*
*These are in addition to the fishing license you must purchase (Non-resident 4 day is $24.00/Resident annual is $20.00 NOT to be confused with sturgeon fishing which is different than spearing).
Drop me a line via the contact form if you’re interested and I can pass along the details!
These creatures fascinate me. Their history is rife with drama and science fiction; you can read how Wisconsin can justifiably claim them as the state’s most successful conservation effort here:
Continue reading Deadline Oct 31, 2018 Join Me For the 2019 Sturgeon Spearing weekend