August 3, 1999 my life changed forever.
It was the day I officially became a horse owner.
Growing up I was OBSESSED with the Black Stallion. As a young girl I devoured those stories. Time and again Walter Farley transported me to islands and racetracks and faraway stables. Continue reading 20 Year Anniversary with Champ
Group Sturgeon Weekend is February 9-10
Full season is February 9 – 24, 2019, deadline for tags is October 31, 2018.
The group will participate in “cutting in” on Friday, Feb 8. We will spear and attend an evening bonfire on the lake Saturday, Feb 9, and spear Sunday, Feb 10.
Sturgeon Spearing Info:
- WI DNR Info
- Find the 2019 Regulations here.
- You must be 12 years or older to spear sturgeon and the deadline for putting in your application is October 31st.
- Spearing hours are 7:00am – 1:00pm. (You can always go ice fishing afterwards!)
- Minimum length is 36”
- It is helpful to have a truck/SUV to get you to your shanty but it is not imperative, as there’s always someone to hitch a ride with.
- Fond du Lac is 1 hour, 15 minutes north of General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee.
2019 Cost details:
Oshkosh/Fond du Lac Hotel: $50-$100/night.
Shanty rentals per day:
- $200 per spearing hole per day. Single hole and double hole shanties available. Total weekend Saturday and Sunday shanty rental cost: $400 for a single shanty/$800 for double shanty.
- Generally 1 person per hole, but 2 people per hole if you want to trade off and fight over who gets to spear the sturgeon when it shows up!
- All spearing equipment is provided with the shanty rental, shanty/1 spear hole/decoy/heat.
- Contact Tyler Jackson 920-602-2322 to reserve your shanty (don’t wait – shanty rentals are in high demand!)
- Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $20.00*
- Non-Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $65.00*
*These are in addition to the fishing license you must purchase (Non-resident 4 day is $24.00/Resident annual is $20.00 NOT to be confused with sturgeon fishing which is different than spearing).
Drop me a line via the contact form if you’re interested and I can pass along the details!
These creatures fascinate me. Their history is rife with drama and science fiction; you can read how Wisconsin can justifiably claim them as the state’s most successful conservation effort here:
Continue reading Deadline Oct 31, 2018 Join Me For the 2019 Sturgeon Spearing weekend
Contact: Amanda Wilson
Deerfoot Lodge & Resort
8534 N Deerfoot Rd
Hayward, WI 54843
deerfootlodge.com Continue reading Ladies’ Musky Fishing School To Be Held Oct 20th-22nd on Chippewa Flowage
Welcome back outdoors world, thank you for stopping back to The Willes Way! If you look back at an article I wrote early last year, “Rifle Shopping for the Average Joe“, you know after my research, I purchased a Remington Arms Model 783 7mm. I had high expectations for this gun, all I needed was some time in the woods with this firearm to confirm I’d made the right choice. Here is what I learned.
Continue reading Gear Review: Remington 783
During spring through to summer, it is common for most people to look for ways to spend their time in the outdoors. Every avid angler knows that the number of strikes from different species of fish changes depending on the season. There are types of fish that you can catch all year round, and that includes bass. Continue reading 3 Techniques for Summer Bass Fishing