“HuntFishTravel – Russian Bear Hunt with Mia Anstine”
Last fall I spent a week hunting elk in the Colorado mountains with Mia, while I was there she told me all about her hunt in Russia. From getting travel documents last minute to hunting bears in the dark to sketchy Russian border crossings.
Listen in to hear the tale.
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel 190 – Russian Bear Hunt with Mia Anstine
“HuntFishTravel – ATA 2018 Bonus Episodes”
Had a great time at the ATA show this year, here are four interviews I conducted while on the show floor. Stay tuned, we have more info for what’s coming up in 2018. You’re not going to want to miss it!
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel – ATA 2018 Bonus Episodes
“HuntFishTravel – ATA Wrap Up with Rut and River Pursuits, Archery Trade Association Convention”
And I’m starting 2018 off with ATA2018 convention coverage. Will, Ryan and Catfish join me for a solid hour of highs and lows, the crazy weather in Indianapolis, why attendance was down, why some media was denied entry to the show and then we jump into the products we loved, the products we didn’t and some experiences at the show.
Continue reading #HuntFishTravel 185 – ATA Wrap Up with Rut and River Pursuits, Archery Trade Association Convention
Group Sturgeon Weekend is February 9-11
Full season is February 10 – 25, 2018, deadline for tags is October 31, 2017.
The group will participate in “cutting in” on Friday, Feb 10. We will spear and attend an evening bonfire on the lake Saturday, Feb 10, and spear Sunday, Feb 11.
Sturgeon Spearing Info:
- WI DNR Info
- Find the 2018 Regulations here (ok it’s still the 2017 ones but you get the idea).
- You must be 12 years or older to spear sturgeon and the deadline for putting in your application is October 31st.
- Spearing hours are 7:00am – 1:00pm. (You can always go ice fishing afterwards!)
- Minimum length is 36”
- It is helpful to have a truck/SUV to get you to your shanty but it is not imperative, as there’s always someone to hitch a ride with.
- Fond du Lac is 1 hour, 15 minutes north of General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee.
2018 Cost details:
Oshkosh Hotel: $50-$100/night details on group rates will become available in a few weeks.
Shanty rentals per day:
- $200 per spearing hole per day. Single hole and double hole shanties available. Total weekend Saturday and Sunday shanty rental cost: $400 for a single shanty/$800 for double shanty.
- Generally 1 person per hole, but 2 people per hole if you want to trade off and fight over who gets to spear the sturgeon when it shows up!
- All spearing equipment is provided with the shanty rental, shanty/1 spear hole/decoy/heat.
- Contact Tyler Jackson 920-602-2322 to reserve your shanty (don’t wait – shanty rentals are in high demand!)
- Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $20.00*
- Non-Resident Sturgeon Spearing License: $65.00*
*These are in addition to the fishing license you must purchase (Non-resident 4 day is $24.00/Resident annual is $20.00 NOT to be confused with sturgeon fishing which is different than spearing).
Drop me a line via the contact form if you’re interested and I can pass along the details!
These creatures fascinate me. Their history is rife with drama and science fiction; you can read how Wisconsin can justifiably claim them as the state’s most successful conservation effort here:
Continue reading Deadline Oct 31, 2017 Join Me For the 2018 Sturgeon Spearing weekend
Contact: Amanda Wilson
Deerfoot Lodge & Resort
8534 N Deerfoot Rd
Hayward, WI 54843
deerfootlodge.com Continue reading Ladies’ Musky Fishing School To Be Held Oct 20th-22nd on Chippewa Flowage